JOB TITLE: Director of Major Giving
PRIMARY TEAM LEADER: Chief Development Officer
FLSA CLASSIFICATION: Salary/Exempt
The Director of Major Giving will oversee major donor giving for KCPT, including unrestricted giving,
underwriting, capital campaigns, special campaign programs and other opportunities as determined by KCPT
leadership. The Director of Major Giving will collaborate with management, Board of Directors, other leadership
volunteers and professional development staff to facilitate successful major donor development and results.
• Establish relationships with existing and potential donors, identifying KCPT’s programs and services
that best align with their interests. Be able to determine readiness of donors to progress toward a deeper
engagement with KCPT.
• Create a long-term vision for Major Giving, using relationship fund development to reach full potential of
major giving at KCPT.
• Lead major giving initiatives, planned giving, and special campaign programs.
• Expand KCPT’s overall donor base by strengthening relationships with high net-worth individuals and
foundations and aligning with their interests.
• Establish relationships with potential donors, connecting them with KCPT’s programs and services.
• Leverage all KCPT assets to maximize donor loyalty and lifetime contributions.
• Work with Chief Development Officer, President/CEO and Chief Operating Officer on creation and
execution of Strategic Plan for Leadership Giving.
• Qualify and cultivate prospective donors, developing and proposing strategies for solicitation of major
gifts, including recommending specific purpose and level of gift; identifying those to be involved in
cultivation and subsequent solicitation; assuring that solicitations are carried out.
• Create compelling cases, proposals and partnership opportunities for prospects, including individuals and
• Maximize donor loyalty by coordinating an effective program for recognition, involvement and
stewardship of major and special gifts to ensure future giving.
• Review gift acceptance policies and gift use policies to ensure accountability.
• Promote transformational giving by cultivating present donors and prospects to drive significant increases
in unrestricted individual giving.
• Maintain KCPT Board of Directors relationships; identify vehicles for involvement and contributions to
• Convert current Producers’ Society members to a transformational gift level.
• Conduct extensive research to cultivate gifts from foundations and prospective individuals.
• Aggressively make community and foundation contacts; addresses groups and provide outreach to
strengthen support for KCPT.
• Maintain visibility in greater Kansas City community on behalf of KCPT.
• Participate in KCPT’s leadership strategic planning sessions and internal review to establish realistic goals
• Work with KCPT leadership and staff on integrated development plan which will provide a comprehensive
view of the interrelationship of development activities with annual programming, outreach and marketing.
• Participate in annual budget preparation, including revenue goals at each level and expenses associated
with Leadership Giving program with emphasis on return on investment.
• Assess opportunities within current KCPT programs for major gifts, including Producer’s Society; research
ways to expand giving.
• Set annual Major Giving goals with management including systems to monitor progress; provide timely
reports and make adjustments as needed.
• Create master Major Giving plan, including key aspects and structure, relationship to other development
activities, benefits to donors and recognition.
• Monitor deliverables on funded projects and report to donors on the use of their funds, through
presentations and written reports.
• Work closely with other KCPT staff members to reinforce prospect relationship continuum, including
efficient use of donor and prospect records and data management.
• Promote estate-planning opportunities on-air, in print, on the web and in person.
• Develop and utilize annual messaging tools for Legacy Society, including VIP letters, mailings, seminars,
and on-air testimonials.
• Develop and provide stewardship opportunities with trust attorneys and financial planners.
• Maintain consistent, ongoing relationship with Legacy Society members.
• Support the Chief Development Officer by providing regular updates on progress, activities and other
• Collaborate with Membership Services and Corporate Partnerships to build a cooperative, effective and
entrepreneurial development system for KCPT.
• Foster productive relationships with other departments inside KCPT, including producers, outreach,
communications, and education services.
• Provide leadership to the Leadership Giving team, managing overall staff performance, work plans and
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE REQUIRED (an equivalent amount of training, education and experience will
• Passion for KCPT mission and organizational values.
• Undergraduate degree preferably in marketing, public administration or public relations.
• Minimum five (5) years or more experience in major giving initiatives.
• Knowledge of local and regional philanthropic market.
• Proven ability to analyze, plan, initiate and complete donor initiatives in a strategic manner.
• Superior public relations skills with experience working directly with donors and senior volunteers.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to effectively and concisely
communicate complex issues.
• High levels of initiative, ability to achieve financial and non-financial objectives and adherence to ethical
• Experience leading fund development staff.
• Ability to sometimes work a flexible schedule including nights and weekends.
Send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to [email protected] Please include in your
cover letter how you found out about this position. KCPT is an E-Verify, Affirmative Action and Equal