- Managing Editor
- Development Coordinator: On Air Fundraising and Events
- Community Engagement Coordinator
- Operations Coordinator
The ideal candidate will have experience managing an editorial staff, recruiting freelancers, conceiving and assigning stories, managing budgets and growing a digital audience. An understanding of video production is a plus.
Kansas City PBS is a dynamic public media company that includes a PBS affiliate television station, an NPR Music affiliate radio station, and a digital news magazine, Flatland.
- Work across the station to edit, publish and promote digital content.
- Grow and manage digital team, establish and report on measures of success.
- Oversee the website’s production schedule, assign stories, top-edit all copy.
- Assign and recruit writers, negotiate writer contracts.
- Coordinate with various departments to maximize reach and audience (including but not limited to social media and audience engagement).
- Identify potential legal problems with online content.
- Maintain journalism standards and ethics.
- Ensure all content is engaging and relevant to the audience.
- 5+ years of editing experience, preferably for a digital publication, with experience in a management role and team-building.
- Experience growing a digital audience across multiple platforms.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently across several teams.
- Strong editorial judgment about content and its accuracy, tone and organization.
- Strong judgment about visuals and photography.
- Excellent editing skills.
- Extremely organized, ability to set and enforce daily deadlines.
- Strong, successful experience managing and meeting editorial budgets.
- A working knowledge of basic content management systems (CMS) such as Wordpress. A fair knowledge of InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop is preferable.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, or a related field.
If interested in this opportunity, send resume and cover letter with salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include in your cover letter how you found out about this position. KCPT is an E-Verify, Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
REPORTS TO: Director of Annual Giving
FLSA CLASSIFICATION: Hourly/Non-exempt
The Development Coordinator: On Air Fundraising and Events will coordinate all activities, solicitations and engagements for KCPT’s on air fundraising program. Under the leadership of the Director of Annual Giving, the Development Coordinator will collaborate with the KCPT production and digital teams, management and professional development staff to facilitate a successful on air and event fundraising program.
- Recruit new individual supporters to the KCPT cause.
- Create, update and maintain database tracking on-air fundraising results.
- Provide administrative support to include ordering supplies, preparing purchase orders, making travel arrangements, preparing correspondence and assisting with development team efforts.
- Manage and coordinate concerts and fundraising events. Activities include:
- Customer/member service.
- Search and develop future projects, events and concerts with promoters, agents and venues.
- Coordinate with promoter & box office partners to ensure quality ticket management and donor experience.
- Coordinate quality donor experience for Meet & Greets, including promotion for future efforts.
- Manage website to reflect event information and promotion.
- Coordinate member event logistics with Events and Volunteer Coordinator.
- Manage live on-air fundraising efforts to include:
- Prepare timelines, program run downs and support materials for hosts, volunteers and staff.
- Ensure quality of donation forms and other program materials.
- Provide quality volunteer training to hosts and phone back volunteers.
- Program rundown and program materials for studio staff and pledge hosts.
- Collaborate with development producer and director to provide vision and feedback to hosts and staff to ensure high quality fundraising efforts.
- Support on-air fundraising activities by:
- Create and update the donation portions of the website with on-air fundraising program descriptions, program images, program premiums and related donation forms.
- Participate on the selection team for on-air fundraising programs.
- Coordinate on-air fundraising outreach and promotion opportunities with Corporate Support and Production/Promotions, including corporate and individual challenge grants.
- Track and provide on-air fundraising results to KCPT staff, consultants, PBS and any other relevant partners.
- Coordinate live on-air fundraising nights with Director of Programming and Director of Annual Giving.
- Coordinate with Director of Online Content to draft and post program content for online publishing related to funding drive theme.
- Recruit and continually evaluate on-air hosts to ensure they are inclusive and reflective of Kansas City’s diverse community.
- Coordinate program break time lengths and schedule timings for live funding drive programs with Director of Broadcast Operations.
- Draft and distribute funding drive programs for live broadcast nights, program messaging and KCPT-specific preparation material per on-air host.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE REQUIRED (an equivalent amount of training, education experience will be considered):
- High school diploma. College preferred.
- Excellent public and written communication skills.
- Extensive computer skills including Word, Excel, Relational Database, Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.
- Work well under minimal supervision.
- Excellent time management skills.
KCPT is seeking a Community Engagement Coordinator. This position is responsible for helping to create and manage KCPT’s community engagement strategy including developing innovative ways to build audience around Kansas City PBS’s three brands - KCPT, Flatland and 90.9 The Bridge. This position designs and manages community engagement services, experiences and initiatives around local and national broadcast programming, digital news content, digital storytelling, social media, and partnerships with other community organizations.
JOB FUNCTIONS INCLUDE:
- Manages and executes community engagement activities, including raising awareness about the organization and its services.
- Develops marketing, promotional, and educational materials in support of engagement and education activities.
- Liaise with the Events & Volunteer coordinator on scheduling of volunteers and hospitality for community events.
- Report on engagement activities and impact on a regular basis to senior staff.
- Work with Development and greenlight team to identify grants and fundraising opportunities for engagement work, including PBS sponsored grants.
Qualified candidates will possess the following:
- Screen all calls for the CTO.
- Coordinate and schedule the use of studios and engineers for live music in-studios using Farmer’s Wife software.
- Coordinate and schedule the use of engineers for live or pre-recorded studio productions.
- Coordinate and schedule A/V equipment needs for external station events.
- Coordinate and schedule audio engineers time.
- Set up and help train staff on A/V in building meeting spaces.
- Set up and modify telephone and email accounts including adding new accounts and password changes.
- Handle transmission support calls.
- Schedule and manage tours.
- Assist CTO in monitoring broadcast operations for FCC compliance.
- Assist CTO in FCC license renewal, maintenance and integrity.
- Assist CTO in scheduling and monitoring building maintenance, engineering and IT needs.
- Oversee and track invoices for CTO.
- Responsible for scheduling engineers’ hours.
- Responsible for FCC quarterly issues/program lists for KCPT and The Bridge
- Provide switchboard/front desk relief
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE REQUIRED (an equivalent amount of training, education and experience will be considered).
- High School diploma or equivalent, some college preferred.
- Basic word processing and spreadsheet software knowledge.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities.
- Confident and positive with a teamwork approach.
- Proven ability to build consensus and work effectively within a cross-departmental team.
- Exceptional communication and organizational skills.
- Basic Understanding of IT technology preferred.